Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Combat Tours and War(Craft) - Part 2: Ch-ch-ch-changes

First let me apologize for the generic and totally uncreative title, but I couldn't think of anything more appropriate to sum up the feel of what I'm trying to do with this post. 

You see, recently I went through a pretty significant change in World of Warcraft.  My old guild, Royal Apothecary Society, run by my wife and I, had become pretty much defunct.  When the holidays rolled around, a lot of folks went on hiatus.  We stopped raiding, lots of people stopped logging on, and things slowed down considerably.  Then, I spent some time in the hospital, an incident which you reading this may or may not know about (it's been resolved, I won't revisit it).  Long story short, when everyone started to come back from the holidays, fewer and fewer people were online at any given time, and those that were rarely did anything as a group.  Holly and I were left to make the hard decision: we packed up and left.

A good number of our close friends and allies came with us, but we decided we'd had enough with the Horde guild on the Winterhoof server.  Instead deciding to join a few friends before us who had migrated to Azgalor, on the Alliance side, we resolved to bite the bullet and pay for the faction/server changes. Since the migration, I've noticed a few things.  First, we're enjoying the game again.  The people on the new server are mainly new friends, with a few old familiar faces peppered in there.  It seems that most of them, however, share the same philosophy and sense of humor regarding the game and life as my wife and I do, and it's been a very welcoming environment.  There were bumps here and there, with a few of my friends who made the trip with us, but aside from the initial culture shock, I'm happy to say it finally feels like a fit. 

Another thing I've noticed, is how much fun PvP servers can actually be.  I had always dreaded leveling on a PvP server, hearing the horror stories of the maxed out characters who patrol the lower level areas, looking for fresh, easy targets, sitting on their corpses, and making it impossible to progress at all.  While I've only run into that instance once, I find it exhillarating.  You never know when a high level player may swoop down on you, or when there's a rogue lurking around, waiting for the right time to strike while you're minding your own business.  It adds tension and frustration, sure, but it makes the game more exciting.  Plus, when you get tired of getting killed over and over, you just hop over to your higher level character(s) and give those players a run for their money.  It adds a dynamic to the gameplay I never knew was there.

All in all, I'm glad I made the change.  Along with the fresh new content that Cataclysm has added, coupled with a new, well-suited group of friends to enjoy the game with, and a familiar entorage of old companions to share these new experiences with, the game has become like new again.  It's fun, it's engaging, and it makes me feel better about dropping almost two hundred dollars of my tax refund to move all four of my level 85 characters. 

Stupid alt addiction.

-TehKnuck out.

No comments:

Post a Comment